Thursday, July 2, 2009

So, do I take it?

Well, I have been keeping an eye on the job board at work and an opening came up for one of the critical care units. I looked at it, didn't even submit an application, and I quickly got a call from them later. They wanted an interview NOW, they already knew me and offered me the job the second I walked into the interview.
The plus of taking the job: more room for advancement (I can't get any higher where I am at now.) I get to play with more cool toys, like chest tubes, pacemakers, and probes in people's brain (SWEET!) It's a unit where we are not expected to work overtime. It's something new with a lot for me to learn.
The negative: I wouldn't work only weekends any more, much more babysitter money. My commute changes from a 5-10 min drive to a 30 min. Almost 2 hours on the days BYU has football games. More time away from the kids, and more money in gas. No pay raise. And, I leave a unit where I know I love to work. I have to go through 3-5 weeks of orientation, during the day, what do I do with my monsters?
What do you guys think?

On a different note, I have lost 17 lbs since giving up my Mt Dew! 5 from giving up the soda, 5 from having pneumonia, and 7 on the South Beach. Butthead Aaron has lost about 10 or 12 just on the diet. But, technically, I am STILL ahead. hehehe Still not feeling much more energy. But my clothes are fitting better. I'll take that little bit.

4 comments:

Vidal's Nest said...

It looks like you'd be losing money on that one. With the cost increase in gas, travel time and babysitting. I think I'd stay put till you find something closer or it pays more. Or you can tell them you really want to take the job but need more money. Maybe they'd take the bait!
Way to go losing weight!!

Shelli said...

I'm with Lauri. It sounds like you are so good, you can wait for a better deal, either from them or someone else.

Nice job with the Mt Dew and losing weight!!! Proud of ya!

Kricket said...

Wow! Congratulations on the weight loss!! As far as the job goes, both your sisters are right. You would be paying more money even though you could potentially earn more.

I had a really great job not so long ago but I was paying somebody to take my kids to sport, scouts, and pick up from school. I was really missing their important activities even though sometimes I feel like hired help. Based on my experience, its not worth all that time away from the kids. Although this job might not be so drastic for you.

Good luck in your decision. I'm sure you will make the right choice for both you and your family.

Mike, Suzann and Family said...

It sounds to me like you should stay where you are.. Mike just had to opportunity to go out for a Training Officer position in Fallbrook.. It would have been only $45 more an hour and twice the drive...He LOVES where he is right now.. He decided not to take the position and it was a good choice.
Congrats on the weight loss :)