Thursday, August 27, 2009

My Beast

We all know Shaun can be a trouble maker. He's especially hard when I am working, he's got too much energy and I get very little sleep. Usually only an hour or two during his nap time.
I discovered yesterday how bad things can get when he doesn't nap.

The last few days Shaun has decided he no longer needs to sleep. Yesterday I was in between shifts (worked the night before and was going to work again that night.) And he was NOT going to take a nap. I finally just tried laying him in his crib. What does he do? Starts rocking the crib till it is SLAMMING into the wall. Can't let him stay in there, he'll either knock the crib over or knock out the entire wall. I take him out and hope if he stays awake longer, he'll get tired enough to put down again.

So by noon, I was awake 24+ hours and I crashed. Not sure how, but I was instantly asleep for over an hour. I wake to Shaun throwing a diaper in my face. He is buck naked and in the process of peeing on the floor (and laughing hysterically about the pee). That's when I sit up and notice my surroundings. He took an entire box of cereal and spread it all over the family room. Of course it's all crushed in. Shaun climbed the kitchen sink and emptied an entire bottle of hand soap into it to make bubbles. He had gotten into my room and used my deodorant to paint on the carpet. And lastly, he used an entire stick of concealer to decorate himself. Even his little butt cheeks were drawn on.

At the time I was too tired to be anything but hysterical. I really should have been taking pictures, cuz now it's funny. Luckily for him, he decided to take a nap today. If not he might have ended up in the river. ;) From now on, though, if he doesn't sleep I think I need to lock him in the toy room and sleep in there with him.

I still can't believe I managed to sleep through that much!

5 comments:

Lynda said...

Well... I have heard that only really smart children can think of that many things to do. :p}}
You're right. It is funny in hindsight, but I'm sure I would have been hysterical also. I think the only way to live through these things is just to laugh... it's better than crying.
Hang in there! You've only got a lifetime to go...ROFLOL

Shelli said...

Johnette was my artist. She colored on every wall of our house. She was very experimental. One day, she poured a whole bottle of honey on the carpeted stairs. I'm so glad we were renting, because that stuff never did come out.

Kricket said...

Oh man...I remember those days. My oldest son used to shake the crib like that when he was about 18 mo. old. He shook it so much it broke the crib and he crawled out the bottom. He then peed in the vents in his room which started to really stink about a week later.

After that episode, we put him in a travel crib and he shook that thing so much he tipped it over. So...we put hook and eye latches onto the travel crib and wall. About 2 days later he climbed out of the crib. It was a total nightmare. He was exactly like Shaun. He'd get into everything the minute you turned your back.

You must have been so tired (understandably) to sleep through all that. I had days just like that and I still don't think they were funny. *Shudder* Hang in there girl! He'll get better by 5 lol.

Ginger said...

It really is funny. He is a handful. You are probably going to have to find someone to watch him for a few hours because you have to get some sleep, expecially with the job you have. I also worry that you are going to be sick if you don't get enough sleep. Try to find someone to come in for a few hours to watch him and clean. You will feel fabulous when you wake up.

DANI KYNASTON said...

It is always a sad day when they decide they don't need naps. I make them lay down anyway! I am just mean that way. As for the destruction, I have just decided that I will never have things look the way I want until they are out of the house. But, unfortunately, I will be too lonely to care! They sure torment - I mean bless - our lives!