Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I WILL get past this!

So, as some of you may, or may not know. I got pneumonia, again. For those who are counting, that is the third time in 13 months. I started to get sick just before Valentine's day and I have still been struggling. And by struggling I mean: trying not to pass out when climbing the stairs from my basement. Having my patients listen to my wheezing and suggesting I get into the bed and they take care of me. Having to go back on high doses of steroids and antibiotics, again, and again, and yet again. Coughing so hard I think my left lower lung was expelled somewhere in the process. In other words, I am having FUN, baby! It was getting a bit..... discouraging.
Luckily. (?) I work with some very intelligent, strongly opinionated pulminologists who care about the health of their nurses. I was recently accosted by the several of them and yelled at. "Oh SUUUUURRRREEEEEE. You get pregnant, and you see a gynecologist. But, you have problems with your lungs and will you see a pulminologist? NOOOOOOOO!!!!" Really, they are good guys, I promise.
So, they maneuvered to get me in this past week, rather than waiting the usual length of time, till June. It was a very LONG day with every test imaginable. Many were tests I had never even heard of. (they were very cool. If you want I'll tell you sometime about the clear box they made me sit in.)
My primary diagnosis? Are you ready for this? Sitting down everyone?
Sleep deprivation.
Really? I just went through FOUR hours of tests and have hyperventilated countless times for THAT? oooooohhhhh. come closer. I am going to hurt you.........
Luckily for Dr Sundar he had more. Apparently I sleep too deep when I do get to go out. I bypass the usual pattern. The concerns are: one I don't get the proper cycle, and two, I go so deep, EVERY soft tissue and muscle in my body relaxes. Including the esophagus. That causes reflux and I aspirate the acid into my lungs. awesome.
Really, this is a good thing. Because, now I know. We are now taking steps to prevent further damage. And, hopefully, I am now on the path to getting better.
This may be a small success, but I'll take it.

4 comments:

Shelli said...

There's nothing better than knowing what's wrong and having a course of action! (You know, unlike me ;).) I hope it helps tremendously, and that your health gets back on track.

Lynda said...

Knowing helps. You can take steps to change what's going wrong.
I expect you're experiencing CPAP machines now. If you are having trouble with the mask, this is the one I use, and it's marvey!
http://www.cpap-supply.com/Swift-0153-LT-for-Her-Nasal-Pillows-Mask-p/60588.htm

Hope you're feeling better already!

:cassia marie: said...

well at least we know. love you!

Kricket said...

Wow! You poor thing. I'm so glad they figured out what was wrong. Even though the answer wasn't what you expected, at least you can deal with it (maybe :P). Get some rest girl!