Thursday, February 12, 2009

A quick update. McKenna is almost better, she went to school today. She was so excited to, "I don't want to be sick anymore. I want to go to school and see Miss Collins!" Having a teacher she adores is wonderful. It makes all the difference in the world.

Avery's still sick, at first we thought she had strep on top of it. But the rapid strep test was a false positive. Her fevers are slowly getting better. The stinky thing is she has another bowel obstruction. She got so dehydrated she plugged right up. I'll get her moving again. I'm good with 'code brown.' But, she has minimal croup right now. The new meds she is on seem to be working.

Shaun is still really sick. He got RSV on top of the flu. Double whammy. He's lost 5lbs now. The doctor was debating putting him in the hospital because of the weight loss but decided against it, mostly because 1 I'm a paranoid nurse and know when to take him in, 2 there are far, far worse germs in the hospital right now. (Meningitis and pertussis is going around. Luckily Shaun's immunized against the latter.) And, 3 I am a paranoid nurse and don't want him in the hospital around the nasties. So, we are doing outpatient respiratory clinic where we take him in to get deep suctioning. So far, he hasn't needed nebulizer treatments. It looks like we have another week of him being sick. I take him back to the Dr on Monday to make sure he is going in the right direction. He may need to go on long term meds like Avery to protect his lungs. We'll see.

I am doing better. It is exponentially easier having only 2 sick kids as opposed to 3. That, and I have had sleep the last few days.

6 comments:

Vidal's Nest said...

Sick kids is no fun! I am glad that they are on the mend! Hang in there!

sherry said...

So glad McKenna is feeling better. They are lucky they have a mom that knows a thing or two about health care. We will keep your little ones in our prayers!

r said...

Hooray for Kenna! I hope Avery and Shaun follow soon! Good luck :)

:cassia marie: said...

wow there has been a lot going on! mom just barely told me that all three were sick. i love you all. let me know if i can do anything for you.

Ginger said...

You have really been through it! I am glad the girls are doing better and hope Shawn is doing better soon. It's nice that you are a nurse and know what to do with sick babies. At least you don't have to take them to the hospital. Our prayers are for you.

DANI KYNASTON said...

Glad everyone is doing better. I think having sick kids is the most exhausting thing in the world! Hope you are getting some rest now.